Well, It’s Kind of a Funny Story: The Village of Well

[caption id="attachment_230" align="alignleft" width="300"] the road leading down to Well.[/caption]

I apologize for this post being so late – I took the pictures my first week of being at school and just assumed I wrote and published it!

Although the castle itself is awesome, the tiny village it’s nestled in might be just as great. Called Well (thus my witty name for this segment), it’s a small town of about two thousand people. Quiet and quaint, it’s our home base for the semester and I couldn’t be happier about having somewhere to just walk through and enjoy. Our director said at our first informational meeting that the castle was picked in Well (aka out in the middle of nowhere) specifically to give us a chill home base to rest between our travels. If we were stationed in, say,

[caption id="attachment_231" align="alignright" width="300"] the bakery.[/caption]

Amsterdam, NOTHING would get done and I would probably never sleep. Here, I can spend my Sunday evenings walking through the cobblestone streets and taking in the scenery while reflecting on whatever country I’ve just returned from. Sound perfect? Sorry to be so blunt but: yes, it basically is.

Anyway, Well has a bunch of amenities (besides being really pretty): there’s a bakery, a grocery, an “everything” store called “Under One Roof,” a few cafes, and a bar. One of the coolest parts about Well – and an interesting fact about Dutch culture – is their community center called De Bunn.

[caption id="attachment_232" align="alignleft" width="300"] De Bunn.[/caption]

Apparently community centers are common and much more active than those in America. We have sports night there every Tuesday but apart from that there are plays, pickup volleyball games, a bar, a restaurant, and many other uses for this little building. It’s a way to bring the population of a city together and condense on space. Also, there’s a horse that lives next to it and I can’t fathom why.

Well, that’s all I really have to say about that. (Get it? Get it?)

Labels: ,