That One Time I Tried to Be a Craft Blogger: A Warped Tour Story and a DIY

IMG_0426

This is a DIY but also a story. If you don't want to hear my story, feel free to scroll down until you find pictures.
So I'm at Warped Tour UK and I know I want a shirt to commemorate it. I'm short on pounds and know that everything will be eye-poppingly expensive. But here's the kicker: because of fire hazards, they would only let a certain amount of people into the merch hall a time. This translates into a huuuuuge line to just to SEE the stuff, let alone ANOTHER line to actually purchase it. I forgo-ed in lieu of seeing more bands.

But, eventually, the line died down and I had a break before I saw 3oh!3 so I wandered in...and it immediately became clear why there was no line. The entire place was picked. clean. Like, hardly anything was still up on the walls. Completely sold out. A tad devastated, I wandered from booth to booth, trying to find anything that said both "warped tour" and "uk" on it. Eventually, I found myself at the Vans tent, which still had a few t-shirts up. I spoke to the guy behind the table, asking about prices and wondering aloud about which shirt was the best. He asked about my accent; I asked about his. Turned out we were both from Boston and spent a few minutes chatting about how we ended up in London (he on business, me on school). Through either regionalism or just plain-ol American hospitality, he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse: any shirt on the table for ten pounds, plus a hat or bag. This, when the other seller had told me fifteen pounds for a shirt. There was one design I liked best: the Vans logo with a printed "Warped Tour UK All Access Pass" draped around the neck. I pointed, elated, only to be told that all they had left were larges. In fact, every shirt they had left was a large. The ten pound deal became clear. I bit my lip and Boston Guy jumped in: "I mean, you could cut it up. Then it might fit you." I erred on having an awesome shirt, albeit too big, and snapped up the deal. The hat's packed away somewhere, but that's a gem too.

Anyway, I wore it as a pajama shirt for the last few weeks of Castle living, but I dreamed of wearing it...places. Of showing off that I got to go to London Warped and you didn't being able to share the joys of music with the world. So I took the advice of Boston Guy. I would...cut it up.

IMG_0427

Believe me, I've done my fair share of summer camp cut-up-the-sides-and-tie-them to make men's shirts women-sized. But I hate the tassels and wanted something I could actually wear around without looking like I was going to the canoe tutorial. So then I was hit with another life-changing idea. I could...flip it inside out. And then tassel. And then right-side-out it. And wear it...places. (My mind speaks with a lot of dramatic pauses.)

So, with a little google searching and a lot of anxiety, here's my DIY:

First off, you'll need a good pair of scissors, chalk, and a shirt that fits you (I chose my beloved Fall Out Boy shirt, circa 2007).

IMG_0429

Inside-out your too-big shirt and lay it flat, then put your well-fitting shirt over it.

IMG_0428

Chalk the outline, keeping the line as thin as possible.

IMG_0430

Then, make your cuts. I wanted my Vans shirt to be fitted, but not too tight, so I cut up until I hit the line. I also took off the bottom end of the shirt and cut out a bit of the sleeves, since they were giant.

IMG_0432

After that, tie tie tie. This is really a pain, but my best suggestions are to keep your cuts real narrow and double knot. (I didn't double knot the first time and when I went to turn out the shirt, it all fell apart. Learn from my mistakes, people.)

IMG_0433

Finally, right-side-out your shirt! Admire your handiwork. Drag family members away from their important things so they can rain praise upon you. Take pictures to post on the internet.

IMG_0435

And, of course, wear your shirt. You, DIY-er, are a superstar.

IMG_0436

Labels: , , ,