Cappucinos or Clicks?: Why I Sponsor


So I was curled up with the boy a few nights ago, checking emails and reading blogs. I'm what my mother calls a "vocal reader" - this means that I constantly sigh, gasp, and moan based on whatever I happen to be looking at. 
I pulled up an email and grumbled.
Boy made a small sound of concern, not looking up from his editing.
"Ugh, I just - should I renew this sponsorship? She gave me a discount code but I don't know if it's worth it..." 
Boy rubbed eyes. 
"Sponsorship?"
"Yeah, like, I have a button on her blog and she's doing a feature on me at the end of the week." 
"How does that work? What do you give her?"
"Well...money?" 
Boy looked taken aback.
"You like, pay her?"
"I mean, yes. But I get a feature post and a sidebar ad, and she mentions me on twitter a lot..." 
He huffed.
"Is that really /worth/ it?"
He made me think for a while, which I suppose is his job but still.
Why do I sponsor blogs? It's strange if you think about it. You're paying money at the chance - not the guarantee - that other readers might see your face and be interested in clicking on to your little interwebby zone. Yeah, weird, I know. 
Thus, I sat down and made a list of reasons why I sponsor, apart from just clicks. 

becoming friends with bloggers.
I don't know about you, but considering my in-person personality (don't look at me; that's proper phrasing) I'm a very shy online presence. I don't usually feel confident emailing bloggers or asking them questions, let alone just popping in to say "hey!" By sponsoring, you get a free "in" to speak to some larger bloggers. Once I buy an ad, often the blogger will send me a welcome email, and we can hit it off from there! 

keeps you motivated.
If you are paying real human dollars for a space on someone's website, it makes sense to continue blogging! If I know I have spend hard-earned money that month to get a chance to be there, I am going to blog to that caliber. 

where is your money going?
I'll be completely, 300% honest here: if I wasn't putting money toward sponsors, that money would probably be used for coffee. Or a new purse. Or more beer. I wish I could say I'd keep it tucked away in a savings account somewhere, but by spending money on blogs, I actually cut down on my frivolous spending. I think of it as "x less frappucinos" or "not buying another camera bag." 

What about you guys? What do you consider before sponsoring?

Labels: ,